Welcome to the second official meeting of the Beginner’s Backyard Garden Club! (If you missed the first meeting, check out the official minutes here)
Now that we are in the clear for random freezing temperatures, it’s time for soil prep and planting! Now who’s with me?
As you can see, my little garden plot needed some work…so this week I designated a few hours to take it from weed central to a cozy veggie haven. Two things I discovered right away:
1. I’m REALLY out of shape…seriously, I’ve been sore for days.
2. Digging in the dirt is REALLY therapeutic.
Wait, hold the phone…so gardening works out your muscles AND your stress all at the same time?! Wow, what a deal…
And talk about simple, all you need to do is:
- Clear out what you don’t want (weeds, rocks, etc.)
- Loosen up the soil (I used a trowel and pitchfork)
- Add some organic matter if needed (such as compost, peat moss, etc…do some research on what type of soil you have and what would make it better for your plants)
- Plant what you do want
So get out there and get your hands dirty! And don’t forget to share your pictures with me (#backyardgarden, or tag me!)… I’d love to see how your gardens are coming along…
What are you planting this year?